Seatrade Maritime is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Maersk Line delays congestion surcharge 'until further notice'

Maersk Line delays congestion surcharge 'until further notice'
Maersk Line has delayed until further notice a congestion surcharge that was due to be levied from Wednesday for cargo to and from US west coast ports.

The line had previously announced it would be levying a $800 per teu and $1,000 per feu surcharge on cargoes on the transpacific due to congestion at US west coast ports from 26 November.

“As you are aware, congestion is real and tangible, and a reality which will continue to impact the US West Coast for the foreseeable future,” Maersk Line said in notice to customers.

“That said, we have made the decision to delay the application of the congestion surcharge until further notice.”

It is the second time Maersk has delayed the introduction of the congestion surcharge originally slated for 18 November.