Seatrade Maritime is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Confusion leads to terminal handover delays in Manila

Manila: The new operator of Manila North Harbor on Friday failed to take over the operations of the port after stakeholders, led by the shipping lines using the terminal, voiced fears that there won't be a smooth transition as various issues were left unresolved.
Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) General Manager Oscar Sevilla has extended the scheduled takeover of the terminal by Manila North Harbour Port Inc. (MNHPI) to February 15, or two months after the contract signing between the two sides.
On Thursday last week, a day before the supposed takeover schedule, the PPA called for an emergency meeting between the new operators after the Philippine Liner Shipping Association (PLSA) expressed fears of disrupted service.
PLSA president and chairman Daniel Lacson Jr. said issues ranging from the new process flows that the new operators will implement, credit terms to new tariff rates were not yet resolved.
"For years, our customers, the cargo owners, have been enjoying certain concessions which we cannot remove overnight. Good business practice dictates that there has to be a reasonable period of phasing-in in new systems in order to minimize disruption and miscommunication," Lacson said in a letter sent to the PPA and the Department of Transportation and Communications.
MNHPI is a joint venture which is majority owned by Habour Port Centre Terminals Inc. and Metro Pacific Investments Co.  [19/01/10]


Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish