Seatrade Maritime is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Gothenburg port sulphur levels drop 80% after cap

Gothenburg port sulphur levels drop 80% after cap
Sulphur emissions have fallen 80% at the Port of Gothenburg since the introduction of the 0.1% sulphur limit in the North Sea Emission Control Area (ECA).

The measurements, carried out using a "sniffer" located at the Älvsborg Fortress, in the fairway leading in to the port, found that an estimated 20% of the 200 vessels measured emitted more than the regulation quantity of sulphur, while the remaining 80% were approved.

Measuring the sulphur and carbon dioxide levels in ship emissions, the sniffer was developed by Chalmers University of Technology with support from Vinnova, the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency and Gothenburg Port Authority.

"It is incredibly positive to see that the new rules are having such an effect and that sulphur emissions are falling,” said Edvard Molitor, senior manager environment at the Port. “At the same time there is still uncertainty regarding the control system for vessels that are failing to comply with the rules. The industry has reason to be concerned that less serious shipping companies will not follow the rules and that this will lead to a distortion in competition.”

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish