One seafarer found dead from sunken Bourbon Rhode, 10 still missing

The body of one of the 11 missing seafarers from the anchor handler Bourbon Rhode, which sank in Hurricane Lorenzo has been recovered.

Offshore vessel owner Bourbon said that one of the aircraft involved in the search for the 11 missing crew from the Bourbon Rhode spotted the body and it has since been recovered by one of the five commercial vessels involved in the search and rescue operation. The company said the seafarer’s family had been immediately notified.

“All our thoughts and prayers go to his family and loved ones. This tragedy affects all Bourbon employees who express their full support to the seafarers’ families,” said Gaël Bodénès ceo of Bourbon.

The search for the 10 seafarers that remain missing continues involving commercial vessels, the French Navy and air search capabilities from the US authorities.

“We remain fully mobilized on search operations to find the other missing seafarers and I would like to express our gratitude to the rescuers, all the teams of the CROSS (Regional Operational Centre for Surveillance and Rescue) and the teams of the crisis cells who are working tirelessly to this end,” he said.

Three seafarers from the anchor handler owned by Bourbon were rescued from a lifeboat at the weekend and it was confirmed that the vessel that began taking on water on Thursday had sunk.

Read more: 11 missing, three rescued after offshore vessel Bourbon Rhode sinks

The Bourbon Rhode was in transit around 1,200 nm from Martinique and 60 nm from the category 4 hurricane Lorenzo on 26 September when it developed an ingress of water in the rear of the vessel.

Posted 30 September 2019

© Copyright 2019 Seatrade Informa Markets. Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Seatrade Informa Markets.

Related Topics

Marcus Hand

Author Bio ▼

Editor, Seatrade Maritime News Marcus Hand is the editor of Seatrade Maritime News and a dedicated maritime journalist with nearly two decades of experience covering the shipping industry in Asia. In addition to running Seatrade's maritime and offshore news website based from Singapore he is the Asia Editor of Seatrade Maritime Review. Marcus is also an experienced industry commentator and has chaired many conferences and round tables. Prior to joining Seatrade at the beginning of 2010 Marcus worked for shipping industry journal Lloyd's List for a decade and previous to that the Singapore Business Times covering shipping and aviation.

Sign up to get the latest Maritime News headlines emailed directly to your inbox

SUBSCRIBE