Owners says ‘imperative’ they are granted access to tanker Stena Impero seized by Iran

Stena Bulk says it is “imperative” that they are granted access to the tanker Stena Impero following allegations by Iran of violating international rules and collision with a fishing vessel.

On Wednesday Iran sent a letter to the UN Security Council saying that the Stena Impero collided with a
small fishing boat on July 19, and badly injured its crew, some of whom remain in critical condition, the Iranian Fars News Agency reported.

In a statement on Sunday Stena Bulk: Following a letter from Iranian authorities to the United Nations Security Council outlining alleged violations of international rules and regulations, including an unconfirmed collision, Stena Bulk and Northern Marine Management consider it imperative we are granted access to the vessel to conduct a full assessment. We continue to await a response from Iranian authorities to our request.”

Read all the Seatrade Maritime News coverage of the seizure of the Stena Impero

Stena Bulk reiterated that there was no evidence that the vessel had broken international regulations.
“As previously stated, from the information we have, there is no current evidence the ship has breached any maritime rules or regulations, and we stand behind the professionalism and conduct of the crew of the Stena Impero,” the shipowner said.

“We hope this situation can be resolved swiftly and will continue to hold an open dialogue with all involved governments and authorities to secure the release of the crew and vessel.”

The tanker was seized in the Straits of Hormuz on July 19 and remains under detention in Bandar Abbas and its crew are reported to be in good health.

Posted 29 July 2019

© Copyright 2019 Seatrade Informa Markets. Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Seatrade Informa Markets.

Saudi Maritime Congress 2020

Saudi Maritime Congress

22 – 23 March 2020 | Dammam, KSA

Connecting Saudi shipping and logistics industry.

Find out more >

Related Topics

Marcus Hand

Author Bio ▼

Editor, Seatrade Maritime News Marcus Hand is the editor of Seatrade Maritime News and a dedicated maritime journalist with nearly two decades of experience covering the shipping industry in Asia. In addition to running Seatrade's maritime and offshore news website based from Singapore he is the Asia Editor of Seatrade Maritime Review. Marcus is also an experienced industry commentator and has chaired many conferences and round tables. Prior to joining Seatrade at the beginning of 2010 Marcus worked for shipping industry journal Lloyd's List for a decade and previous to that the Singapore Business Times covering shipping and aviation.

Sign up to get the latest Maritime News headlines emailed directly to your inbox

SUBSCRIBE