The awards held under the patronage of Sultan bin Sulayem, chairman of Dubai Ports, Customs and Free Zone Corporation and chairman of Dubai Maritime City Authority were attended by over 700 guests at the Joharah Ballroom at Madinat Jumeirah, Dubai.
Hosted by international broadcaster, Stephen Marney, with a guest personality appearance from Formula 1 world champion, Damon Hill, the Seatrade awards programme is widely recognised as the region’s premier maritime awards.
Chris Hayman, chairman of Seatrade, started the evening’s proceedings by saying: “When we introduced this Awards programme back in 2003, this region had aspiration to become a major global centre for the maritime industries. That aspiration is now a substantial reality and many of the individuals and organisations who have contributed to this transformation are present here this evening.
“In the past year this region has continued to progress as a centre for world class shipping companies, with a network of ports and terminals that is state of the art, and the world’s biggest concentration of ship repair expertise. Its maritime service sector is heading in new and exciting directions. Its offshore marine industry is coping well with a challenging market environment.
“In the wider Middle East, this year has seen the completion, exactly on schedule and in just one year, of the New Suez Canal, an achievement on a tight timetable which has been described by the International Chamber of Shipping as ‘simply astonishing’.”
A total of the 25 awards honouring individuals, organisations and companies were announced at the celebration of shipping and maritime in the region. The winners were:
- Contribution to the Development of the Regional Maritime Cluster Award: DP World UAE Region
- The Safety and Quality Award: Topaz Energy & Marine
- The Environmental Responsibility Award: United Arab Shipping Company (S.A.G)
- The Education and Training Award: DP World UAE Region
- The Technical Innovation Award: Lukoil Marine Lubricants DMCC
- The Corporate Social Responsibility Award: DP World
- The Offshore Marine Development - Africa Award: Seacor Offshore Dubai LLC - Africa
- The Port & Container Terminal Development Award: ENL Consortium Ltd
- Regional Cruise Development Award: Abu Dhabi Ports
- The Offshore Marine Award for Owners & Operators: Halul Offshore Services W.L.L
- The Container Terminal Operator Award: DP World UAE Region
- The Marine Insurance Award: The New India Assurance Co. Ltd
- The Ship Repair Innovation Award: Nakilat-Keppel Offshore & Marine (N-KOM)
- The Port Authority Award: DP World UAE Region
- The Ship Agent Award: GAC Group
- The Maritime Law Award: Fichte & Co Legal Consultancy
- Seatrade Deal of the Year Award: Standard Chartered Bank for the Topaz Facility Deal
- Shipping Company of the Year Award: United Arab Shipping Company (S.A.G)
- Seatrade Young Person of the Year Award: Ms Suha Abdulla Obaid, Folk Shipping
- Business Innovation Award: Col. Rasheed Al Hebsi, CEO, Emirates Classification Society (TASNEEF)
- Regional Development Award: Captain Mohammed Juma Al Shamisi, Chief Executive Officer, Abu Dhabi Ports
- The Maritime Thought Leader of the Year Award: H.E Sheikh Talal Al-Khalid Al-Sabah, Chief Executive Officer, Kuwait Oil Tanker Company
- Seatrade Outstanding Achievement Award: Arab Republic of Egypt
- Seatrade Personality of the Year Award: H.E Dr Nabeel Al-Almudi, Chairman, United Arab Shipping Company and President of Saudi Ports Authority
- Seatrade Maritime Industry Award: His Excellency Shaikh Daij Bin Salman Bin Daij Al Khalifa, Chairman, Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard (ASRY)
Copyright © 2020. All rights reserved. Seatrade, a trading name of Informa Markets (UK) Limited.